One of the only baseball blogs (to my knowledge) in the blogosphere that focuses on the Montreal Expos. Okay, mostly baseball in general, however with Montreal Expos references to be found within!

Saturday, August 15, 2009

Bla bla bla

Thought I would write this post while it was fresh in my head.

I was watching Philadelphia at Atlanta, toward the end of the game on a certain network that carries MLB games. Anyway bottom 7, Adam LaRoche in his 11th game back with the Braves, singled to right. I believe Greg Norton was going to PH, but since LaRoche got on, Javier Vazquez, former Expos pitcher instead pinch hit for Eric O'Flaherty. Turns out Javier Vazquez is the league lead in sacrifice hits with 14! Whodathunkit? Not me, as I was not aware he was a good bunter.

In 2004, the last year of the Expos, Livan Hernandez tied (in 5th place) with Kris Benson for most sacrifice hits by a pitcher with 15. The top 4 were all shortstops with Royce Clayton leading with 24. Royce Clayton by the way is now retired. After a stint with the Jays in 2007, the Red Sox picked him up, he signed a minor leagur contract. He was called up in September, and although he did not play, he earned a World Series ring. He retired after that 2007 season.

Back to today's game. The Braves went on to win it in a come from behind walk off fashion in the bottom of the ninth. They were down only 3-2. Garret Anderson singled to right. Matt Diaz sacrifice bunted. Brad Lidge did not field it cleanly, he then threw in the direction of first, where it was very unlikely to be a play. Howard could not get it, that allowed Diaz to get all the way to third, while came in with the tying run. They then walked Adam LaRoche, and kind of sort of unintentionally intentionally walked Greg Norton, who was in for Peter Moylan. Omar Infante was then up. I had a feeling he would end it, and on the first pitch, walk off single to left.

The announcer said how Lidge should have ate the ball after his fielding error. I agree, then it would have been only first and second with no out. Who knows what would have happened then. From my small amount of baseball experience, I have done just that, ate the ball, even on plays where I could have, or should have thrown.

Switching to the Jays at Rays, the announcer said Scott Kazmir leads in the category of most pitches thrown in the first inning on average (not sure if it was the AL or MLB) with 19 I believe it was. I can not look up advanced stats, otherwise I'd try and check. Anyway, his longest outing this year is only 7 IP. And he only did that once, otherwise he is 6.2 or lower. Looks like he is struggling, at 6-7 and 6.50 ERA.
As I write this, Toronto are up 2-0. They scored 2 in the top of the 3rd. They also threatened in the top of the first, but Millar flied out, and Wells struck out swinging. Kazmir threw 21 pitches in the first.

No comments: