One of the only baseball blogs (to my knowledge) in the blogosphere that focuses on the Montreal Expos. Okay, mostly baseball in general, however with Montreal Expos references to be found within!

Saturday, August 01, 2009

Finally!

Finally back with a new post!

To get me going back on the baseball blog, I'll start with a fairly simple post. Also, in my next post, or second post from now, I'll elaborate on why I have been lazy.

Finally! That was what I was thinking today after getting a base hit after going 0 for 7 in the league I play in. 6 of which were strikeouts, a couple looking for sure. I was stinking it up. That is where the blog post came from. Anyway.

Just finished watching some of the White Sox beating up on the Yankees. Some plays of note.

I started watching the the top of the sixth, after Cano had just walked to load the bases with no outs. Melky Cabrera then lined out to left fielder Carlos Quentin. Alex Rodriguez did not try tagging, I believed he bluffed, to draw the throw, but that was it. The next play was another odd baseball play.

Here is the official scoring: "Jerry Hairston Jr. flies into a force out, left fielder Carlos Quentin to third baseman Gordon Beckham. Alex Rodriguez scores. Jorge Posada out at 3rd. Robinson Cano to 2nd. Jerry Hairston Jr. to 1st." So basically it was indeed a fly ball, but to no man's land behing short, and shy of the left fielder. Kind of like a blooper. Jerry Hairston Jr. bluffed, making it look like he was going to catch it. It then fell in, and he threw to third, just barely getting Jorge Posada out on the force. Had he not bluffed the catch, it would likely have been a base hit, and everyone would have been safe, with the bases loaded still. So basically a good play on his part (Hairston), to get an out, and have runners only on first and second. Not to mention it cost Hairston his hit. Another scenario would have been Jorge Posada being safe at third, with the same bluff play. Then it would have been a hit for Hairston. Only the one run scored. Had he not bluffed, and Posada was safe, who knows what could have happened. After that one run scored, it made it 7-3 in favour of the White Sox.

That play reminded me of one time I was watching a game (on TV), I think it was at Wrigley field, and the left fielder bluffed, as if he was going to catch it, but it was a home run. It fooled the announcers anyway!

I did not see the other outfield assist, however Tim McCarver and the Thom Brennaman broadcasting duo said how outfield assists are at the lowest ever since the early 1900's. That was a stat from Stats Inc from a couple years ago they said, that stil applies.

I just missed a baserunning error by Gordon Beckham. Apparently he rounded third thinking that a ground out (6-3) was the third out, so the first baseman threw to Alex Rodriguez to record the third out. He was mic'd, and Mark Kotsay said something to the effect of we'll let it go, as it was a 6 run inning for the Sox.

In the bottom of the 6th, Jeter made an error, allowing Gordon Beckham to reach safely. Your basic error, a play that should have been made, proving he is human.

Alright, that is all for now.

No comments: